Air Force Common Admission Test (AFCAT)
AFCAT is conducted by the Indian Air Force for selection of officers in all branches of the IAF (except medical and dental) viz. Flying Branch (Short Service Commission only), Technical Branch (Permanent Commission and Short Service Commission) and Ground Duty Branch (Permanent Commission and Short Service Commission). AFCAT is conducted twice a year (in the month of February and August). The advertisement for the same is published in employment news, national leading daily and India Air force website in the months of December and June respectively.
HOW TO APPLY?
AFCAT applications now have to be made online only. The earlier scheme allowing candidates to apply offline (by post) has been discontinued. Candidates are to apply online through website www.careerairforce.nic.in using a valid and current email address only after notification is released.
ELIGIBILITY FOR AFCAT WRITTEN EXAMINATION
The eligibility criteria with respect to age limit, educational qualifications etc. for AFCAT are spelt out in the advertisement published in the Employment News as well as the same is displayed on the website www.careerairforce.nic.in . Minimum qualification required is graduation.
Women candidates may also apply for AFCAT. For details regarding age limit, qualifications, eligibility for various branches etc. please refer the advertisement published in the Employment News as well as the same displayed on the website www.careerairforce.nic.in. Minimum qualification required is graduation.
AFCAT Eligibility Criteria For Ground Posts
A. Age Criteria (as on 1st July 2019)
- Maximum Age – 24 years
- Current Pilot License Holders – 26 years
Note – Candidates under 25 years of age must be unmarried
B. Educational Qualification (as on 1st July 2019)
- You should be 10+2 with minimum 60% OR
- You should be having a Graduation degree with minimum 3 years aggregate 60%
2.Technical– Aeronautical Engineering
- You should have at least 60% in Physics & Maths at 10+2 level.
- You need to have a 4-year graduation degree in Engineering/Technology with 60% aggregate.
- You need to have cleared Sec- A & Sec- B exam of AMIE or ASI.
- You need to have cleared the Graduate membership exam of IETE.
Aeronautical Engineering (Electronics)
The following Disciplines are allowed
- Computer Engineering/Technology
- Computer Engineering & Application
- Computer Science and Engineering/Technology
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering/Technology
- Electronics Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electronics and Computer Science
- Electronics and/or Telecommunication Engineering
- Electronics and/or Telecommunication Engineering (Microwave)
- Electronics and Computer Engineering
- Electronics Communication and Instrumentation Engineering
- Electronics Instrument & Control
- Electronics Instrument & Control Engineering
- Instrumentation & Control Engineering
- Instrument & Control Engineering
- Information Technology
- Communication Engineering
Aeronautical Engineering (Mechanical)
The following disciplines are allowed –
- Aerospace Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering and Automation
- Mechanical Engineering (Production)
- Mechanical Engineering (Repair and Maintenance)
- Industrial Engineering
3. Non Technical – Administration & Logistics
- You should be having a Graduation degree with minimum 3 years aggregate 60%.
- You need to have cleared Sec- A & Sec- B exam of AMIE or ASI with minimum 60 %.
- You should have a B. Com degree (Min. 3 years) with at least 60%.
- You should have any of the following degrees with a minimum 50% in post graduation(at least 2 years) and minimum 60% in graduation:
- MA/MSc degree in English / Physics /Mathematics / Chemistry / Statistics / International relations / International Studies / Defense Studies / Psychology / Computer Science / IT / Management / Mass Communication / Journalism / Public Relation
- If you have done an integrated course, the minimum score to qualify is 50%.
- You need to have studied Maths and physics at graduation level with at least 55% marks in each.
- To qualify, you need to have a Post Graduate degree with aggregate 50% in the following disciplines,
- Science Stream
- Computer Applications
- Environmental Science
- Applied Physics
- Agricultural Meteorology
- Ecology & Environment
- Environmental Biology
EXAM PATTERN OF AFCAT WRITTEN EXAMINATION
Duration of AFCAT is two hours. It consists of 100 questions. Each question carries three marks, and there is also negative marking in AFCAT, for every wrong answer one mark is deducted. AFCAT is an objective test and the scheme of syllabus contains General Awareness, Verbal Ability in English, Numerical Ability, and Reasoning & Military Aptitude. A sample paper and old question papers are available on the website careerairforce.nic.in
SYLLABUS FOR AFCAT WRITTEN EXAMINATION
General Awareness: History, Sports, Geography, Environment, Civics, Polity, Basic Science, Defence, Art, Culture, Current Affairs, Politics etc.
Verbal Ability in English: Comprehension, Error Detection, Sentence Completion, Synonyms, Antonyms and Testing of Vocabulary.
Numerical Ability: Decimal Fraction, Simplification, Average, Profit and loss, Percentage, Ratio & Proportion and Simple interest and other topics of basic numerical ability.
Reasoning and Military Aptitude Test: Verbal Skills and Spatial Ability, Verbal reasoning, Non-verbal reasoning and Logical reasoning.